Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Public Art Utah and Wyoming


Yesterday, I traveled from Tooele, Utah to North Platte, Nebraska; a 650 mile drive.  My quest?  To find and define public art?  As I drove along the I-80, historical marker after historical marker--marked, the history of our great nation.  Though I was on a search for "art" what I saw along that long stretch, the nature, the landscape, struck me like great amazing art has.  So today's collection of pictures mostly covers the stunning display of natural beauty.  I stopped at a vista just on the Utah side before crossing into Wyoming.  The pictures sky streaked with jet exhaust, lake and mountains existing as if there forever.  As I crossed into Wyoming my friend Lula asked during a call if Wyoming truly was Big Sky country.  I am sure you will agree after looking at the photographs of distant snow kissed mountain tops, lingering expansive plains and windmills speckling the backdrop, all truly eclipsed by a horizon of Big Sky country...indeed!

I also stopped at Green River Visitor's Center where a wonderful lady named Sharon -- her eyes as blue as Big Sky Wyoming -- toured me through the center.  I asked her about her thoughts on public art.  She was emphatic.  All art is public art.  Sharon took me to three different pieces she particularly liked as "public art."  Of the three, consider the wolf.  Is that art?

The final leg of the trip, before my lens succumbed to the setting sun, brought me to the Lincoln Highway memorial in Laramie.  Monuments and art at times are one.  Here is a perfect example of the power of art.  Though I was alone, the wind whipping at 35+ miles an hour.  The temperature dropping fast.  My fingers turning to ice.   I knew, if there was one other person, a kindred experience would surely occur.  That to me is part of the definition of public art. This monument, the masterful artistry of Lincoln's bust stunningly haunting.

I slipped into Nebraska as night ruled.  Humming along at 75 miles an hour.  Wondering what wonders waited for my travels in the bright of day.  I will find out in 1 hour.  Stay tuned.






















Please visit Smashwords.com and look for Dr. Robin Scott Peters Ebooks now available.

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely excursion. The photos are wonderful, particularly the landscapes. Thanks for sharing your sojourn! Kudos.

    Robert Allan

    ReplyDelete