Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 2, 2013

ARTING About...? The 4 Ways to Advocate for Theatre Education

by BRIAN BOZANICH, MFA


The 4 Ways to Advocate for Theatre Education

Over the last twenty-five years I participated in many discussions about drama education, some of them were, shall we say, highly animated. In an atmosphere of common core, standardized tests, and authentic assessment, we are often asked to justify our existence as part of the curriculum and school community.

The opponents of theatre classes will say that arts classes have no career potential. They point to unemployment figures for those with theatre degrees. Anecdotally, I was told not to study theatre and to live in the real world by my parents. My family gradually came to accept, if not support, my course of study. Another adult, when they learned I taught high school theatre, told me I was "preparing kids for a career at the drive through window."
This struck a nerve with me and I started to think of high schools as merely a place for career training. Should students be judged simply by their employment prospects? If a student wants to take AP Chemistry, adults never quote the failure rate of undergrad Organic Chemistry students. They are allowed to explore their limitless potential. Similarly, if a teacher looked at a student and said “law school is hard, you should have a fall back career” parents would, rightfully, question the teacher’s counsel. The teacher might even be accused of crushing that young person’s dream. If a child dares to aspire to a creative career, parents have encouraged me to discourage such ideas.

How should we speak about arts education in a digital age? Here are the four things I have found to be effective counterpoints to opposition to theatre education.


11.)  Do not make the argument to those who agree with you.
Many drama teachers focus on the emotional benefits of arts participation. It helps the outcasts, it gives an outlet for students who have different learning modalities, or it helps emotional growth. All of these are true but, they are not persuasive to those who want to marginalize arts ed. Opponents will dismiss those points as touchy feely. 



22.) Focus on the soft skills theatre teaches.
I decided to change the way I speak about the value of a theatre education. I now stand in front of parent groups and tell them that drama will teach students to work with others to communicate an idea on a deadline. If they can name any job that does not require those skills (communication, collaboration, and time management) I will consider my class simply playtime and give all students A’s just for participation.



33.) Look at the successes in athletic programs.
In an environment of limited resources, arts programs often fight for time and money with athletic programs. I have not heard of a single successful campaign to redirect athletic money to the arts. That energy would be better spent examining where the athletic program is successful. At my school, athletics announces the scores and news daily. I instituted a plan where the arts PR person announces auditions, community appearances, and upcoming performances.  Just as the coaches meet the parents at the start of each season, I hold a parent meeting for the cast to outline the rehearsal schedule and talk about the show. School pride is a core value of my program. A program that sets itself as an island apart for the rest of campus should not be surprised when the campus community does not support the work. 



44.) Do outstanding work
The single best advocacy for arts education is to make good theatre. I have had many parents ambushed by the quality of the shows. They walk in with painfully low expectations and leave amazed at the students work. When they continue to attend I make sure to show a breadth of talent and material, so they realize the students’ capacity for achievement.



The benefit of these arguments, besides their accuracy, is they open those who might oppose the arts as frivolous. The process of understanding the skills and impact of a theatre education can lead to parents who become vocal advocates for your program.


Brian Bozanich
Visual and Performing Arts Coordinator
Saint Joseph High School

Please visit: Twitter: @FilmRobin for up-to-date info on where I am travelling for ART. LinkedIn: LinkedIn.com/in/robinscottpeters for complete resume & work history. Smashwords.com and look for Dr. Robin Scott Peters Ebooks now available. YouTube: Youtube.com/user/robinscottpeters for all my video work.

No comments:

Post a Comment