Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

ARTING About...? Montgomery Woods State National Reserve: Old Growth Redwoods.

Image of Robin Scott Peters  by Robin Scott Peters

In 1995 Mendocino College hired me, your humble artist, to direct the production of "A Midsummer Night's Dream."  The 20th Century Russian master theater director Vsevolod Meyerhold was a major influence in my approach to theater.  His working theory of Biomechanics intrigue me because it unlocked the slavish connection between having to "feel" what your character was "experiencing."  I rejected "Method" acting.  Biomechanics gave me a "method" to character development through physicalization.  It does not matter if an actor feels anything.  What matters is if the AUDIENCE feels. Biomechanics engaged the art of physical communication.


I hated Shakespeare, at the time I was hired by Mendocino College.  I hated struggling through the centuries of language gap, culture gap and time gap.  I didn't care that he was the cornerstone of Western Civilization's written word.  What did Shakespeare really have to say to me?   But, the paycheck was good so I took the gig.  I was in trouble.  Confident of my directing abilities, not confident of understanding the text to the degree I am accustom.  That is, completely.  As fate, and Starbuck's, would have it I knew a coffee acquaintance whom taught at Pasadena City College. His specialty, you guessed it, Shakespeare.  After a little negotiation--free coffee and pastry (I drove a hard bargain)--we began to meet regularly over a three month period.  We took a full dramaturgical approach and analyzed every line and word--literally.  I knew I would have to answer actor's questions.  Had to have an answer.  Not bull.  By August 1995 I was ready to punch Shakespeare in his chest; my chest puffed up..."I got you!!!"

You must be wondering what the heck this has to do with Old Growth Redwood trees and art?  It's a bit circuitous but follow.  The production previewed on October 10, 1995.  The rehearsal process was art in communal form.  An experience worthy of written article in and of itself.  The crux of it:  the methodology I applied focusing on Biomechanics created a bond between the entire cast and crew that was palpable and created a safe ground for complete exploration and character creation.  Read the reviews of the show which were stellar.  But even as an egotistical director, this show was not about getting the review,  that was not the most important thing.  The bond which occurred was codified in an unsuspected location in an impromptu manner.  Just days before the opening of the show the entire cast and crew drove to Montgomery Woods National Reserve.  For weeks prior people consistently prodded me about these mystical Redwood trees.  I "just had to see to understand the power of their existence." I laughed each time I was cajoled to go, saying "I live in Los Angeles, what could possibly be more amazing than anything there?"  Just days before opening night I capitulated and a brave soul was put in charge of gathering a list of Pot-Luck items and car-pooling.  And Sunday October 8th off we went to picnic as a group and perform the show in the middle of these trees.  The day we choose just so happened to be a Full Moon.  We broke bread at the picnic area, just at the opening of the park surrounded by little Redwood trees--which I thought were the big ones.  After a few hours of enjoying the fruits of the vine and delicious tidbit morsels we trekked into the park.  3/10th of a mile up and into wonderland.  When we reached the main grove area for the Redwood Old Growth I was literally brought to my knees.  I had no idea.
Massiveness vs Man

I had no idea the massiveness of these trees would floor me in such a way.  Not just the massiveness, but the knowledge these trees were the closest thing to timelessness I would ever experience.  These trees around since the time of Jesus?  One can sense the honor and seriousness impugned in such ancient wonders.  Or whatever ancient being you choose to associate timelessness upon.  We all gathered together.  We all held hands as I instructed the cast "start here and then let the nature take you. Our play happens in the deep woods where lovers and fairies intertwine."
The roots reach over 15 feet in height. Our fairies played here honoring Oberon.

The sun was setting.  Our play ran through the woods up along hillsides, into hollows of burned yet living extraterrestrial-like monstrous beings.
Texture, age carved faces, faces in fire capture the essence of these old beings.

Even in death sprawled among the ferns the behemoths create a fascinating ecosystem.  Splayed in pools and along side sister boulders or across each other creating bridges, cross-ways as natural as is beautiful. Along pools catching reflections, and bridges made of the fallen, dying, dead.
Can you feel the immensity?  Can  you sense the grandeur of the space?

We played and laughed and cried as the moon rose high above us and we completed our play.  We ran into the woods. Hollering and playing sounding out like wolves, dashing about, hiding.  Then, one by one, we slipped back to reality.  To our cars. To the long winding Orr Springs Road.  To home, where the fairies rarely come to play.

Three different couples from that cast got married.  Each had part of their ceremony at Montgomery Woods.  Even now, 18 years later, Kenny, Larry, Torre, Carter, and a few more of us are close friends all part and parcel from the bond created.

These long 18 years I have hoped to go back.  To see if there was magic there or did we, our little group, bring magic to Montgomery Woods.  So my approach in this visit so many years later is to capture exactly what I see.  Those sights that itch my creative soul.  The impulse to take my dear friend, my 550d,  and we dance as we try--together--to find the combination of mystery and magic found in the light and shadow of these giants.

To experience completely Montgomery Woods State National Reserve visit the slideshow below and enjoy the 76 wonderful photographs included.







Please visit: Twitter: @FilmRobin for up-to-date info on where I am travelling for ART. LinkedIn: LinkedIn.com/in/robinscottpeters for complete resume & work history. Smashwords.com and look for Dr. Robin Scott Peters Ebooks now available. YouTube: Youtube.com/user/robinscottpeters for all my video work and photography work.

No comments:

Post a Comment