Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 25, 2014

ARTING About...? Sundance Film Festival or "Newbee: How A Virgin Gets Around Sundance."

  by Robin Scott Peters

"Yes, it's my first time here at Sundance," I heard myself squeak out gleefully to the young woman wearing the powder blue winter vest.  I just completed a 2000 mile journey from Providence, RI to Park City, Utah. It was January 15th, the day before the official opening of the Sundance Film Festival 2014.

"I was sent up here to you from the box office.  I'm trying to get my press pass." She looked for my name among a table covered with what looked to be every ticket Sundance had printed. "Dr. Peters, I don't see you here in the collection."  "I don't think you will find me in there.  I just, three days ago, decided to come.  I want to get a press pass."  "Sir, to get that you'd have to go to the main headquarters.  I believe they're not issuing press passes."

Blackout, spot light on me, quiet all around, a slight wind blowing--What's a boy to do?  Thinking deeply I just couldn't fathom I wasn't able to participate in the festival because of my last minute decision to attend.  Earlier in the week I was at Rhode Island School of Design, @RSID, writing an article on RISD's exhibit of Andy Warhol's "Screen Tests." Sitting on the couch viewing the images my pocket vibrated and my IPhone 4 cajoled me to inquire.  I acquiesced.  It was an email from UCLA. The School of Theater, Film & Television.  "Dr. Robin S. Peters you are cordially invited to The Wrap..." It was an invitation to Sundance.  I was planning to drive back home to California along the 70 Highway.  A quick jog north to the 80 West and it goes right through Park City.  So, I thought, what the heck, Sundance it is!  However, I didn't think tickets to the movies would be unavailable. 

Lights up, room noise, people moving about, young woman with powder blue down vest--action?  I decided to inquire on a different level.  "There must be another way I can participate in the festival?" "Well, we do have our Credentials Pass, which allows you access to different workshops and round-table discussions.  Also, it gives access to certain sponsored party events."  Hmmm I thought to myself, party events?  Nice. "Does that pass give you access to any movies?"  "No, sir, it doesn't." Enough said.  $200 dollars transferred and I was the proud owner of my very own Credentials.  When one feels Credentialed it is a good start stroking the ego--semantics are everything.  I gathered up my swag: A Britta water bottle stamped with Sundance 2014, my SFF Film Guide Book and the following is what I learned after stepping out into the world of Sundance.

Tickets are extremely hard to get if you do not order in advance.  Sundance has options to get what limited tickets they do have left.  This year they rolled out for the first time eWaitlist which is an online wait list for each film.  Two hours prior to the film's showing you get on line using the Sundance App and sign up.  This is a bit tricky because many others are waiting to sign up online as well.  I tried it three or four times on different movies and was unable to get in the queue.  The App only allows a certain amount on the wait list then it is closed.  But during my five days at the festival I did speak to folks that had success.  Another approach: get to the box office prior to 7:00 am the day of the film you are interested in viewing.  Box office opens at 8:00 am.  The first morning I was there the temperature was 12 degrees.  Not fun.  

The Sundance App.  Easily the single most helpful tool for this novice.  The festival is set in several locations spread across Park City.  There are screenings in Salt Lake, Sundance Resort and other locations.  The vast majority of screenings and events occur in Park City.  Main St. is center stage where all the hubbub occurs.  The App is super-easy to use.  The Festival Info page has 10 tabs ranging from "Tickets" to "Getting Around Park City."  Finding the Schedule or eWaitlist, no problem. Need to find a location of a screening or a workshop or conference, easy.  Plus the App can GPS you and give you options to walk or transit to assist you getting to the right place.  And once you find what you are looking for, you can save it to Favorites and access it with one keystroke.  You can also tap into your social media side and stay up-to-date on the "business buzz."  Sundance Channel continually drops new interviews and stories and Twitter leads with the up-to-the-minute news.

Parking/Bus/Shuttle.  Don't try to avoid paying for parking.  Don't try to drive around Park City. There are three or four major parking areas designated by Sundance.  I parked at the China Bridge Parking Structure.  It is just behind Main St. and gives you great access to the heartbeat of Sundance action. There are no In-&-Out privileges.  But you really don't need to leave once parked because there is a Bus and shuttle transportation hub 1/2 block down on that same street.  The buses and shuttles are the very best way to get around.  They go to every venue.  They are free.  They are crowed and at times the traffic is pretty hairy.  Give yourself ample time going to a screening, better safe than miss your film.

Place to Stay.  I arrived in Park City the day before the Sundance official kick off.  I stayed in Evanston, WY the night prior.  61 miles away from Park City.  A bit far to drive every day especially considering spending 12 plus hours at the festival.  Park City was completely booked.  And what was available was costing hundreds to rent nightly.  After some detailed research...thanks Google, I decided I would head to Salt Lake City about 38 miles west.  I stayed at the Super 8 near the airport and paid a great rate, about $60 per night.  Big, comfortable, clean room, with microwave and fridge, couch, desk and chair.  The drive was easy because I was up and out early, traffic was light and the speed limit made for a quick jaunt.  Note: if the weather were bad the drive would be very treacherous. Keep that in mind.  I will most likely stay in Salt Lake next year, though I plan to get everything booked much earlier.

Dining, Park City Style.  Bring cash, credit or gold.  $18.00 Hamburger and fries.  Though I did walk past Kurt Russel on my way to getting my burger...worth it right?!  Everywhere I ate was expensive, but delicious.  All the wait staff, polite.  I can't think of a spot that wasn't jammed and most places had significant wait lines if you didn't happen to make reservations.  If you are doing the Credentialed Pass, most of the workshops have a little fare, but that goes quickly.  I packed in some yogurt, fresh fruit and the like to mitigate the cost. 

Plan but be flexible.  Use your Sundance Film Festival Guide in conjunction with the Sundance App. Each day I would plan for the next.  At times I wanted to be in two places at once.  Wish I was an amoeba.  I tried leaving one conference early to enter into another conference late.  I don't recommend that approach.  Choose your workshop, get there early and stay through it to the end.  Unless it is a complete utter dog (all of my conferences and workshops were top notch).  Pay attention to the App. they send updates constantly so new things occur that might interest you.  Also, there were some workshops not listed in the program guide.  I stumbled into one of the best I attended at the Filmmaker's Lodge.  Steve Stoute and VH1 were discussing the new documentary "The Tanning of America." Fascinating look into Rap / Hip Hop's influence on Americana.  One last thing, be open to an invitation to another event from someone you met.   Go with the flow, if things don't work out as you plan.  I met some amazing people this past week.  I know I would not have met if I had been stubborn or upset over not being able to get a ticket or get into a workshop.  It's an adventure, just like a good film.

Volunteer Staff.  This year over 2000 faithful souls slipped on the powder blue vest that designated them as official Sundance Volunteers.  If you are in a crunch these are your "Go-To" folks.  What you cannot get from the App or the Film Guide is the nuance of the community and the festival.  I spent lots of time chatting it up with many of the volunteers.  I was able to harvest so much from these folks from the best kept secret places to eat, drink and be merry to in-depth discussion on art and philosophy of film making.  Make sure you take time to speak with the volunteers.  You will not be disappointed. Also, give them a thank you for their service.  You may even make a new friend.

My next article will take us deep into Sundance as you travel with me into the workshops and conferences.  Then see how Networking actually happens.  It's not as hard as people make it. And my final article will examine two films: Whiplash and Liar's Dice.




Please visit: Twitter: @FilmRobin for up-to-date info on where I am traveling for ART. LinkedIn: LinkedIn.com/in/robinscottpeters for complete resume & work history. Smashwords.com/profile/view/robinscottpeters -- Look for Dr. Robin Scott Peters Ebooks now available. YouTube: Youtube.com/user/robinscottpeters for all my video work.

No comments:

Post a Comment