Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Me and My 550D Shooting Glass Blower Bryan Randa: Regeneration and Transformation for Dreamers

What a busy last few days.  And today it really kicks into gear.

This afternoon I do the second of four interviews with artists that work with glass.  Today I film and interview Bryan Randa, Glass Artist from Cataumet, Cape Cod, MA.  You can check out Bryan's work at www.randaglass.com.  I initially ran into Bryan's work at a coffee shop called the Dailey Brew.  A neighborhood enclave that serves up great food and atmosphere and wi-fi too!  I was grabbing a cup of joe, and on a merchandise rack was some small glass ornaments.  One was a turtle.  I loved the intricacy of the work.  I immediately wanted him to make me a sand dollar--my wife and I love to go to Pismo Beach and there are sand dollars, placed like golden tickets, along the sea shore and we stroll and enjoy the search, sea, and sense of serenity.  I thought just by looking at Bryan's work, he could capture that delicacy for me.  So I queried the barista for the artist's info and two days before Christmas I called Bryan and left a message asking if he had time to do a sand dollar before Christmas.  He called back that same day, but I missed his call.  I didn't realize that he had called until after Christmas.   Bryan's message stated that he COULD get the item done in time.  I thought to myself, I have to meet this guy!

I am eager to see Bryan's workshop and studio.  I am always fascinated how artists "birth" their creations.  Process, structure, inspiration, technique...how do these elements play in the "conception?"  Also, I will probe Bryan's business approach.  How does he market his art?  What conflicts as artist does he experience when he wears his "business hat?"  This is a particularly important point--Artist as Entrepreneur.  In my close to 35 years of being actively involved in the arts, there has been this aversion to artist wanting to make money off their "art!"  They say, "I am an artist first, don't bother me with that filthy lucre."  I want to find out how artists are making money--survivable money.

I'm editing Christie Andresen's filming/interview.  The imagery and colors in her stained glass work just jumps out of the frame.  Wait to you see her work.  Add her distinct passion and you cannot help to think that YOU can do it too.  While I was picking up "B" roll after my interview with Christie, I overheard her talking to a client that had come into the shop.  The client wanted to bring a friend, who was a stained glass artist, into the shop so she could see Christie's advanced work.  Christie offered to work with the young woman and give her a free impromptu class on any technique she felt could advance the young woman's abilities.  It is all I can do to keep from launching the interview now--it's not done yet, but the work looks soooooo good!

I will launch ARTing About--which will be my Art's Blogging Video Channel-- this week with the posting of Christie Andresen's interview.  From that point  I will run all my interviews there on a cycle so you readers can check and view my Arts Video Blog.  Also, the video's will be produced on good 'ole YouTube.  And I will always give you a promo-shout out here to let you know to check out the next great Emmy-award-winning interview (LOL).  I have a great list of interviews set on some of the most talented artists around. 

I have to run.  Bryan's interview is in just two hours and I haven't had my second cup of coffee yet....

Peace, luv and yogurt

Please visit Smashwords.com and look for Dr. Robin Scott Peters Ebooks now available.

No comments:

Post a Comment